1.11.2010

here's an effort...sorta

Disclaimer – if you have not yet read Wade’s post about the top 25 albums of the decade, then I beg you – please read it. Since I’m writing so shortly after he has posted it, I do not want to take away from his insightful remarks about his top albums of the decade. It’s really good stuff.

Let me just go ahead and get it out in the open:

I’ve been a lazy boy this year. For starters, I didn’t run the half marathon like I promised I would (sorry Tristen). I drank too much beer. I played a lot of video games. I quit my job (before you jump to any conclusions - that was actually a good decision), and, once again, I became a student…to get my M.A. degree in (…wait for it…) English!!! But the most grievous and heinous lack of discipline was my negligence to actively seek out new music. There. I said it. Or wrote it. Whatever.

It’s not that I didn’t listen to music. I enjoyed plenty of good music. But I feel like I really looked for it early on in the year, and then as the moved forward I simply stopped looking for it and began to rely too heavily on my friends (you know who you are, and I thank you for your recommendations – especially the 5 different people who recommended the XX to me) and certain “best new music” lists on certain websites.

For instance, Wade puts me to shame. Not only has he posted his top albums of the year, but he has also posted HIS TOP 25 ALBUMS OF THE DECADE.

This post, however, is not any attempt to reach such lofty heights. It’s not about the top albums of the decade. In fact, it’s not even about the top albums of the year. Well, that’s not entirely true, as I will list my favorite albums of the year, in no particular order:

Bibio – Ambivalence Avenue
Japandroids – Post Nothing
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The XX – XX
Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
The Antlers – Hospice

But that’s all I’m going to say about them, especially since I feel like I would be repeating much of what many of you have already said (rather eloquently) about these albums.

Instead, I have decided to simply post my favorite songs of the year. I believe this approach goes along incely with the general lazy vibe I’ve established for this post.

Japandroids – Wet Hair

She had wet hair. Say what you will. I don’t care. I couldn’t resist it. This song is pretty ridiculous, but it also encapsulates much of what I like about Japandroids – simple lyrics, loud, rolling beats, fuzzy guitars, and a straightforward melody. I find myself tapping my feet every time I hear this song.

Animal Collective – Summertime Clothes

If you’ve ever visited or lived in NYC in the summer…this song captures so much of the city’s feel in July and August.

Hideaway – Karen O and the Kids

This is from the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack. I know – it’s a little random. My enjoyment of this song has something to do with how deeply the movie moved me as well. I don’t want to go too deep into this one, but let’s just say I have my reasons for liking it.

Bibio – Lover’s Carvings

Bibio is great – if you have not checked out last year’s release, be sure to grab it. It is perfect for detailed listening with headphones or as background music at a party. This song is especially fun, as it transitions from a quiet offering to something a little more upbeat.

The XX – Shelter

Whoa. This song should belong on some sort of noir detective sci-fi movie soundtrack. I don’t say this about much, but it’s sexy.

The Antlers – Epilogue

An excellent cherry on top of an amazing sundae of an album.

Phoenix – 1901

This one is just a no-brainer for me. I actually got kinda sick of it, but it’s a dang good pop song.


So there are some of my favorite songs from 2009. Let’s hope I’m not as lazy in 2010.


2 comments:

Wade Holmes said...

Grantly, I better never hear you apologize for drinking "too much beer" in a given year. Can you have "too much fun"? Is there such a thing as "too much caring"? Has anyone ever heard of "too much World Peace"? No, and there is obviously no such thing as "too much beer". That's like saying, "too much Santa". Having said that, thanks for posting on the tunes... I'm loving hearing what everybody has been loving this past year.

way said...

I don't think I've ever commented on this blog. This is Will Rucker.

I had never listened to Japandroids or Bibio. I had heard a little of XX.

I love the Japandroids song. So much fun.

Have you listened to J. Tillman at all? I made a "best of 2009" list recently and had Tillman way too far in the back. I really think "Year in the Kingdom" was in my top 5 of '09. It's growing on me a lot.