12.14.2009

Best Albums of 2009

OK, end of the year, time for a Top Seven Albums of 2009. (Why seven and not ten? Because, The Man wouldn’t let me have ten.) For all of you Albums out there who I neglected, or forgot, to mention I hope you can forgive me… you’re all winners in my book (and, the title of that book is Everyone’s a Winner).

Trying to get this list out before Pitchfork and all the other websites start doing their end of the year lists. One, so as not to be perverted by other people’s opinions. And, two, because I am quite certain that this list will change world history. Enjoy…

7. The Flaming Lips – Embryonic
For people who got into the Flaming Lips over the past three albums this is quite a departure. For people have been Lip Lickers for years, this is almost a return to their original weirdness… not that it sounds at all like they’re earlier stuff, it just doesn’t have the pop-ness that the past few albums had and it seems that they feel a real freedom to explore on Embryonic. I mean, I know the last few albums haven’t at all been “safe” but, there is something much broader here.

6. U2 – No Line of the Horizon
Yeah, I’m old and I’m including U2 on my list. And, yes, I’m allowing the fact that I saw this tour, in all of its space ship absurdity, live to sway my opinion. But, I still like it. And, that’s all I have to say about that.

5. The Decemberists – The Hazards of Love
OK, first of all, let me just say that I’m a sucker for a concept album… Frank Sinatra’s September of My Years is my favorite Sinatra album and it contains no hits but works more as a single storyline, Willie Nelson’s Red Headed Stranger is an album built on a single storyline and it is truly a thing of perfection. But, I digress, just saying that I know that I can get sucked into a concept album more than most people (and, I’m not absurdly claiming that this album is on the same level as those two classics, blah blah blah). Thus, I realize that Hazards of Love is not for everyone, but it really was one of my favorites of 2009. One thing that shocked me is how The (usually un-rocking) Decemberists threw out some nasty and dirty guitar riffs and wailing vocals.

4. Passion Pit – Manners
The song “Little Secrets”, or “The Sunny Day Playground Jump Rope Song” as I like to call it, is a three minute and fifty-eight second summer day party, complete with frozen Jumbo Jet Star Pops from the Ice Cream Man and chalk drawn games of Tic-Tac-Toe displayed on the sidewalk. So, throw on some S.P.F. 45, hop on your bike and call all the kids in the neighborhood… because there’s a party going down and you’re all invited.

3. Wilco – Wilco (The Album)
In my opinion Wilco (The Album) is their best album since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (which was certainly one of the best albums of the decade)… I realize that opinion means that I’m saying Wilco (The Album) is better than A Ghost is Born, but that’s what I’m saying. I know it sounds a bit stupid when someone who is a non-engineer or producer starts talking about the “production value” of an album… but, all I’m saying is “tell me any single instrument, (or sound effect) that doesn’t sound perfect on this album”. Great songs. Great melodies. Great band.

2. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimist
Fact: “Two Weeks” was the best track of 2009. Fact: the recent rebirth of Beach Boys based harmonies is the only thing that will end Global Warming and cure leprosy. Fact: unicorns are real and leprechauns are not. Having said that, this album is freaking awesome. The poppy, hooky harmonies are wonderful. There’s something full yet hollow about this album (“hollow” is not the perfect word… but the feeling of listening to this album in a huge wooden-walled room yet the sound is not empty at all, it is full and surrounds you on all sides).

1. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
Shockingly, 2009’s best album came out so long ago that I had to check the release date just to make sure it was released this year… it was released in January 2009. I had never gotten into Animal Collective until this year and all I can say is “Wow!” This album has it all (that’s a freaking generic statement), but nonetheless, it takes you up, then it takes you down, then it takes you straight to Chinatown. OK, now I really don’t know what I’m saying but what I’m trying to say is this album has a subtle beauty to it as well a bright and obvious warmth to it… it really has so much to offer on both ends and it needs to be appreciated on both ends of that spectrum. The beauty of the overt poppiness cannot be fully appreciated apart from the beauty of the subtle sounds taking place here. Me likey long time.

4 comments:

will said...

YES! it is that time of year again. lists lists lists.... please everyone keep them coming. i've been working on mine since june.

wade - two bands i sort of let slip away lately: flaming lips and decemberists. you make me want to rediscover their love.

stan said...

nice list.

you're totally spot on with your grizzly bear description. that 'full hollowness' (or whatever the hell you want to call it) is one of the many things i love about their music.

ahh, lists...i've been planning/avoiding mine for the past few weeks.

grantly said...

Glad the lists have started! Wade - I honestly don't think anyone could have better captured the tone of Passion Pit's "Little Secrets." Jumbo Jet Star Pops!

Anonymous said...

Yes Wade! I am so thankful you started this stream of top albums post. A few notes... I am definitely going to get the flaming lips album now. I don't know why i waited this long. Also, i completely support your U2 placement on the list. I am not sure if i will include it on mine but after seeing them live, as well, i admit its hard not to. Props on putting the passion pit album out there. I think i am still obsessed with it.

You should post more often... your funny.