12.17.2009

Will A's Top 15


15. Passion Pit - Manners
Six months ago this album could have been top 5, but it seems to have dropped with the temperatures. It's just harder to enjoy when I'm waiting for the train in in 5 degree weather. With that disadvantage aside, it's one of the catchiest albums of the year. See Wade's review for a much better description than I could give. Highlight: the keyboard riff that starts "Little Secrets"


14. Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Movies
I'm not usually big on country stuff, but this year my folky/twangy side seems to be creeping out a bit more. This is an album that makes me wish I was more of a whiskey drinker. Think Wilco circa 1995, or even Uncle Tupelo. Highlight: the tearjerker "Mama's Eyes"


13. Wilco - Wilco (the album)
Speaking of Wilco... I've done a scientific study which shows that ever since the creative peak of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Wilco's age has had an inverse relationship with the level of innovation and edginess in their songs. However, it also has a direct relationship with the number of badass guitar solos so it comes out about even. They've aged better in the 15 years they've been around than most bands do in just a couple albums. Highlight: track 1 chorus, "Wilco will love you, baby". I can count on one hand the number of bands that can get away with that.


12. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
If you asked me at the beginning of the year what albums I was looking forward to most, this one was up there with Animal Collective, so #12 is kind of a disappointment really. Although you just can't resist some of these songs. When it comes to layered arrangements, harmonies, sounds coming from instruments that don't sound like instruments, intricate and complex song structures, they are pros beyond their years. Highlight: the video for "Two Weeks", which is the definition of creepy/cool.


11. Iron & Wine - Around the Well
This one surprised me in a good way. I had started to lose touch with ol' Sam Beam the last album, but this double disc collection goes back to when he was at his best. Simple, acoustic with a focus on the song and lyrics instead of the production and percussion. For a b-sides, rarities, and covers album, this one is remarkably consistent all the way through. Highlight: the cover of The Flaming Lips' "Waitin' For A Superman" might be better than the original.


10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
Another "surprising in a good way" album for me. Album 1 will always be a classic for what it symbolizes in NYC indie rock, Album 2 was more of the same, but this one finally shows them maturing a bit. If "Maps" was your favorite song on Fever to Tell then there is more of that on this album. The ballads are just as powerful as the rockers and probably are longer-lived. Highlight: the last 1:30 of "Skeletons" when the whole band has kicked in and swirls around the guitar melody


9. Alela Diane - To Be Still
I only listened to this because Joanna Newsom's name was attached to it. I think they were high school buds or something. (side note: Newsom is getting frighteningly close to the Thom Yorke zone for me, meaning I will listen to or read anything that she or her second cousins were remotely involved in. She's soooooo good.) This album isn't groundbreaking but I just can't stop listening to it. She has such incredible control over her voice that she does things that would sound like a nasty yodel coming from me, but she pulls them off amazingly. Highlight: closer "Lady Divine" is just straight-up beautiful


8. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World Yet to Come
Every time this guy releases a new album I always give it a try, but very few (of the 573 so far) have actually stuck. This one is up there with The Sunset Tree for me. Some would see the songs written on a Bible verse to be a bit gimmicky, but I think it's really cool. I've even started incorporating the songs in to my quiet times... anyway... concept aside, even without the Bible theme, the songs and lyrics are some of his best. He's one of the best storytellers in indie music. Highlight: "Genesis 30:3" - becoming a dad probably has something to do with that


7. The xx - xx
The first time I heard this I thought, "this is such Grant music." I love albums where it's obvious that anyone can could play and sing what they are doing. There is nothing special about this band's musical talents - it's just exceptional writing and knowing how to not overdo it. Highlight: the first ("Intro") and last ("Stars") songs - warm up with a Euro guitar/drum instrumental, close it down with single chord piano


6. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
Do not listen to this album (or especially) watch any of her music videos if you are prone to nightmares. This crosses the creepy/cool line in to creepy/cool(?) territory. Take the Knife, subtract the guy and about 85% of the sounds and you get Fever Ray. Yet, somehow its biggest strength is the hollowness and emptiness of the songs. Highlight: the video for "When I Grow Up" - has WTF written all over it


5. Japandroids - Post-Nothing
Probably the easiest album to describe: guitar w/ distortion pedal, loud drums, screaming. With that formula it would be really easy to suck, but it doesn't. Highlight: pick one - it's solid from start to finish


4. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
I can see why a lot of people might not like these guys. There aren't many bands where the lead singer is in falsetto nearly every song (R&B genre excluded), so that takes some getting used to. But it definitely keeps the songs more interesting. Great guitar/bass work make this good, and the crazy vocals make it even better. Highlight: the lyric "This is a booty call... my boot, my boot, your asshole!" from track one


3. Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer
Another guy quickly approaching the Thom York zone, Spencer Krug has yet to disappoint me in any way. But somehow I think his non-Wolf Parade band is one of the most underrated bands today. I went to see them in Madison, WI a few weeks ago and got there right on time at 7pm to make sure I was there if it packed out, and of course, it didn't. The club even kept them from playing an encore so they could clear people out and start karaoke at 9pm (no joke). Why don't they get more recognition? Every album has been on pitchfork's best new music but they never make the top 50 at the end of the year. I don't get it. But anyway, this album, just like all their others, is ridiculously good. 8 songs of completely unstructured, lyrically insane indie rock songs. Highlight: the one at a time build of muted guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, vocals, and then really loud guitar "You Go On Ahead For a While"


2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
So much has been and will be written about this album that I don't know what's left to say about it. All I can say is that I hope this isn't their peak. Each album has been consistently better so I have to think they will continue trending that way. If they do, they really are headed for Radiohead status, not just in my book but mainstream too. If I could buy stock in these guys I would have done it yesterday. Highlight: what else could it possibly be other than "My Girls"?


1. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
#1 and #2 are really a toss-up for me, but Phoenix wins out because I think I've listened to it more. And I can't stop listening to it. It will probably be the kind of album that I look back at this time next year and think "That was really 2009? But I was just listening to it the other day." These guys have always been catchy, but I didn't see this coming. They are as tight of a band as the Strokes in their prime, but with less chance for egos and addiction to make them fall of the earth. Well done, Frogs. Highlight: The one-two punch of "Lisztomania" and "1901"


That took me way too long to write. I'm going to bed. Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

grantly said...

hahaha - i thought that too the first time i heard XX!...and so did Mooney.

Nice list.

Wade Holmes said...

This is one reason I love these lists... I get to find out about things I didn't know of otherwise. You got me really excited about the Justin Townes Earle album, I don't have that and didn't know about it before your review. You had my attention at "1995 Wilco and Uncle Tupelo"... I LOVE that stuff and I also have a bit of an older country and folk side to me. Also, if you need help fulfilling your wish of becoming more of a whiskey drinker... I can help there too.

Anonymous said...

YES!! Thanks for giving us a top 15 Will. I definitely agree with the high placement of Japandroids and the xx. I freaking love both those albums. As soon as i heard the xx i also thought "this is grant music." I am curious about The Mountain Goats now. Thanks for the recommendation.

stan said...

these lists are better than ANY chrsitmas gift. any.

i'm really glad the mountain goats are getting some love. that album is amazing.

i'm excited about checking out wild beasts and justin townes earle. thanks for the post.

Doug said...

Man you guys listen to a lot of music. I probably don’t cycle through 15 albums in an entire year. That being said, I have enjoyed reading these reviews. It’s good to hear that Wilco is back in favor. I haven’t listened to a single record since YHF… partly because I’m more of a Son Volt fan (gasp) and also because Jay Bennett (RIP) was a genius. All of this hype might actually get me to check out this latest album. Thanks!