6.30.2011

The Sky Above the Port Was the Color of Television, Tuned to a Dead Channel


I've been loving the mixes being posted, so I've decided to throw one into the lot. Here is a dreampop/shoegaze mix, mainly focused on Cocteau Twins, Wild Nothing, Asobi Seksu, and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Other gems are included as well.

The title and picture for the post (first line of Neuromancer and artwork from Akira) are in line with the glossy, technological sheen of the mix while also pointing to some of its melancholy overtones. You can download the mix here, which includes the .m3u playlist. Enjoy.

Tracklist:

Slowdive - Alison
Wild Nothing - Golden Haze
A Sunny Day In Glasgow - The white witch
California Wives - Tokyo
Best Coast - Wish He Was You
My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes -
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – Contender
Memory Cassette - Asleep At a Party
Cocteau Twins - Cherry-Colored Funk
Wild Nothing - Chinatown
Asobi Seksu - New Years
Sun Airway - Infinity
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Belong
California Wives - Purple
Lush - Etheriel
A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Failure
Cocteau Twins - Bluebeard
The Radio Dept. - Heaven’s on Fire
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking
Asobi Seksu - Transparence
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Wild Nothing - Vultures Like Lovers
Memory Tapes - Swimming Field
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Gentle Sons
Asobi Seksu - Exotic Animal Parade

5 comments:

will said...

yes! downloading now. oh grantly with your anime shoegazing ways.

i'm also loving the mixes. keep them coming!

will said...

also, i hope atypedesign didn't charge you for hosting your mix. we all know how he can be sometimes....

grantly said...

It was free of charge...this time...

benjamin said...

I love the title. Definitely one of my favorite opening lines. I'm driving down to Franklin tonight to go see Holy Grail at the newly reopened theatre down there -- I'll give it a listen on the way there and back!

Wade Holmes said...

This mix is very Grant-errific (and, I mean that in a good way). While I only recently got into the Cocteau Twins (not sure what took me so long on that one, I guess I just had to wait until the time was right), I am really only now at the beginning stages of starting to enjoy a good bit of this shoegazer/dreampop/whatever-else-people-want-to-call-it stuff, but I feel like I’m going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole and only enjoying it more as more of these gems are being uncovered for me to enjoy. I was really digging the songs by A Sunny Day in Glasgow (especially “Failure”). These Wild Nothing songs you put on here are helping me get more into Wild Nothing… the more I keep hearing them the more I’m liking them. “Tokyo” by California Wives” is delicious and right up my alley. And, “Transparence” by Asobi Seksu was EVER so tasty. Thanks for the good tunes.