6.03.2011

yankee hotel foxtrot demos

This post is aimed at Wade, but is definitely worth looking at even if your name is something other than Wade!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my favorite 52 minutes of sound ever recorded to tape. And after watching I Am Trying To Break Your Heart 1,000 times during my freshman year of college, I began looking for ways to get my hands on some of the demos and other recordings that didn't make the record. A few years ago, these files circulated the interwebs and my itch was scratched. One is a collection called the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Demos, and the other is called the Engineer Demos.

So, if you haven't heard them and you are a fan of Wilco, then you definitely need to download them by clicking below.
--YHF DEMOS
--ENGINEER DEMOS

7 comments:

Wade Holmes said...

Thank you SO MUCH for putting this link on here. I had a copy of "Magazine Called Sunset" back when YHFT was floating around (when they were shopping record deals) and I've always LOVED that song but I lost my copy of it (this was back in the days before having my entire music library saved on my computer) and I’ve looked for that song fruitlessly since then. So, finally getting that song makes this entire link worthwhile… (that's one of those happy summer songs that just makes me feel warm and yummy inside). I will definitely give ALL of these songs some serious listening. Thanks a bunch, man.

Wade Holmes said...

I totally forgot about "Venus Stop the Train"... I had a copy of this song years ago and I haven't heard it since then. Oh my goodness... SO GOOD!!!

benjamin said...

I know, right?! Jeff Tweedy's "throw away" songs would be gold to most anyone else. I'm glad I could provide you with these long-lost loves.

PS. Magazine Called Sunset. Mmmmmmm, like buttah. Before I had a copy, I used to watch the scene in I am Trying to Break Your Heart where that song plays (I think its a deleted scene) just to hear that song.

benjamin said...

PPS. Have you heard the More Like the Moon EP? The last three tracks on it are three of my favorite Wilco songs. Here's the wiki page on it.

Wade Holmes said...

Yes!… More Like The Moon is yet another one of those things that I had burned onto a CD years ago and now it’s yet another long-lost love. I’ve been diving into these songs you sent the link to all week… listening to “Venus Stop the Train” right now… this is the song that I can’t get away from this week… my play-count is already double-digits. This thing is like double-whipped, extra creamery buttah… salty, tasty, fatty… delicious (and heart-healthy!). Something about these songs is just throwing back into that season (when this album came out) all over again… I love it.

benjamin said...

Alright, Wade. Since I know you can safely consume 3 tater-dogs in one sitting, I'm fairly confident this link won't kill you. So go ahead and click here.

Wade Holmes said...

Ha! Thanks, man. Let me know if you ever wanna go grab a few tator-dogs... best 11,000 calorie lunch you'll ever have.