12.21.2008

My top ten albums of 2008

I am following in our founder’s footsteps by posting a list of my favorite albums of 2008 (so far). It was hard for me to rank these, and I’m sure I’ll change my mind on a few of them, but for now the list represents my feelings. Also, there are some 2008 albums that would maybe make this list but I haven’t invested the time or $ to listen to them yet (The Dodos, Of Montreal, Deerhunter, etc.)

I would love to see what some other peoples’ top 2008 album/song lists are and hopefully get a glimpse at the various music sensibilities represented on TLE.


10. Truckasaurus : Tea Parties, Guns, and Valor
I know, I know. I can’t help it though – I like this album. The blips, bleeps and bloops are like a tractor beam for me. And – the band is named after the Truckasaurus episode from the Simpsons! I mean c’mon - that’s good stuff! But seriously, the mixing, rythms, etc. on this album are really cool, and I’ll keep on enjoying it. Below is a great remix of one of the songs.


9. Portishead : Third
It’s been about a decade since Portishead’s last release, and they definitely did not disappoint with Third. This is a dense album, or dense in its darkness at least. This is not one of those albums I pop in the player when I just need some easy-listening chill music. This is an album to play when it’s raining and cold and your mood reflects the weather, or there’s just been a nuclear apocalypse. Sometimes the album can be slightly jarring, but overall I enjoy it.


8. Flying Lotus : Los Angeles
If you’ve ever watched Adult Swim on Cartoon Network there’s a good chance you’ve heard some of Flying Lotus’ stuff. It’s kinda laid back hip-hop inspired electronica. This is great background music. A signature track is below.



7. Department of Eagles : In Ear Park
This album took me by surprise. This band has a strange history, as it kinda started when Daniel Rossen (of Grizzly Bear) worked on some tracks with his NYU roommate…and I think eventually put out an album. Then the whole Grizzly Bear thing happened, but he thankfully went back to DOE and released this album in 2008. Definitely has a slight Beach Boys feel, and it evokes Brian Wilson’s collaborator Van Dyke Parks (from his album Song Cycle – but in a good way) with all the orchestral arrangements. In Ear Park has really grown on me. Teenagers is a great track.


6. Vampire Weekend : Vampire Weekend
Some of you may like this album, some of you may loathe it. For all the naysayers out there – I like it, even if I’m kinda sick of it by now. That’s all I’m gonna write about that.



5. Crystal Castles : Crystal Castles
I can’t stop listening to this album. It’s just so catchy. There’s something special about pounding out 8-bit soundscapes accompanied with a screaming female voice.

Seriously, why do I like this album so much? Is there something wrong with me? One more track below for your enjoyment/hatred (no screaming on this one).



4. TV on the Radio : Dear Science
Gosh. TV on the Radio is proof that there is plenty of hope for the continued creativity of the Brooklyn music scene. These dudes know what they are doing and are very consistent. Below is a BBC recording of one of the killer tracks on Dear Science.




3. M83 : Saturdays = Youth
I love M83 and I probably always will. This album is very poppy, dreamy, and has a strong shoegaze feel to it (reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine mixed with Cocteau Twins). There are some straight up electronic tracks as well on the album, which are also nice. Below is my favorite song from Saturdays = Youth.



2. The Walkmen : You and Me
I’m glad the Walkmen have been able to stick around. This album is classic Walkmen without feeling too repetitive. My favorite is below.



1. Fleet Foxes : Fleet Foxes
I know this is also the no. 1 album (along with the EP) on Pitchfork, but so what. I agree and I’m copying them. I think many on this blog will and do agree that this album, this band…….wow. They are freaking awesome. I don’t know what else to write. A good-but not the best-song from the album:

4 comments:

stan said...

nice list. its heartening to know that you're still obsessed with the sound of a casio. me too.

Afton Mooney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

oops. I posted as afton there.

Grantly, thanks for posting all of those mp3s. I think i could really grow to love Crystal castles. There really is a place in my heart for the 8 bit sound.

will said...

I just downloaded Crystal Castles (legally!). Just a few songs in but I'm definitely liking it. A little bit of The Knife feel to it but angrier.