12.04.2008

Videogames can inspire music too

So…I thought this might be a fun post for some of you. Just remember – when you are getting a kick out of this stuff – I listen to a lot of this crap regularly. I completely understand and respect that many people will not and do not like this type of music (i.e. certain types of techno, electronic, experimental, etc.) However, I think some of you will at least get a laugh out of it, if not like it. Below is a list of songs that either were obviously inspired by videogames or at least remind me of a videogame. Hope you enjoy!


Crystal Castles – Alice Practice
This song reminds me of a mash up of all the 8-bit Nintendo games I ever played…assuming I played them on speed and was really angry. However – be warned: when a friend (you know who you are) got into my car while I was playing one of Crystal Castles’ songs, he immediately asked “what the **** is this? A fifteen year old girl on coke slamming her keyboard?” Umm…pretty much, yeah.

Truckasaurus – Up, Up, Down, Down, L, R, L, R
Just like this code gets you unlimited lives in Contra (this is part of the code, not all of it), it seems Truckasaurus has unlimited lives in my posts.



High Places – From Stardust to Sentience
Please excuse the uber-evolutionary song title. First of all, please notice the album art. what. the hell. is that. Anyway, this song is not overtly videogame-ish, but the title and melody remind me of a game called flOw on the Playstation Network – which some of you have played. Basically you start off as a single-celled organism and work your way up the evolutionary food-chain. In the game, all the sounds are orchestral. While this aspect is not totally represented in the song, it still reminds me of the game.


Crystal Castles – 1991
Don’t worry, there’s no singing (or screaming) in this one. This is the Boss Battle if I’ve ever heard it. All I can think of for this song is a side-scrolling 16-bit game were the good guys shoot lasers into the bad guys’ faces and explosions follow.



Steel Pole Bath Tub – Train to Miami
Alright – this one’s a little out of the ordinary. It’s for any video game where you get to shoot zombies. Actually, this song was on a commercial for a zombie videogame called Left 4 Dead, which brings up a question – what do you all think about bands who allow their songs to be in commercials? I don't even know if anyone cares about it, and it may be a tired conversation, but it could lead to interesting insights..

And before I become any more of a nerd…that’s it.

No comments: