12.29.2008

Top albums of 2008

Okay, i loved reading grantly and will's top albums of 2008 so i felt compelled to share my own. It was tough and there were many albums such as Bon Iver and MGMT which i felt should be on here but realized they were released in late 2007. Will, sorry to disappoint you excluding the Emo Beattles, Panic at the Disc Player!

10. Ratatat - LP3.
I just love me some ratatatechno. Its ideal for when you need to read a book pretty fast and your eyes are heavy.









9. Coldplay - Viva La Vida.
The songs on this album just flowed together so tastefully. These brits may be slightly over rated but they have evolved so well and created a great album here. Enjoy the piano version of lost i posted below




Lost? - Coldplay







8. Kings of Leon- Only By The Night.
I really loved this album. This may not have been there best album yet. Call me gay but I love his scratchy voice.









7. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals.
This albums rocks so hard. It may be the best road trip album EVER! It bumps, raps, rocks and its a good game to try to see who can guess the different tracks layered in each song.






6. The Whigs- Mission Control.
Ever since i saw this band play in Nashville, TN at the basement I have been hooked. This is their second album and it still is as raw as their first. If these guys had been around during the early 90's grunge scene they would have been ridiculous. Then again so might anybody now if they came pre beattles.


Right Hand On My Heart - The Whigs







5. The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely.
The versatility of this album makes me so happy.










4. TV On the Radio - Dear Science.
This album is ridiculous. I have to agree with all the critics, its great. So intricate, creative and fun to listen to.









3. Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend.
Confession. I really didn't want to like this album after hearing all the greatest band ever hipe. I was weaseled into my first listens and still didn't like it. Finally, after being forced to purchase it up by a man with an indie gun, it really grew on me. Now, I love it. It makes me feel like i am on the beach everytime i hear it which must be why its number 3 on my list.





2. Sigur Ros- Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
This album was much more poppy and I loved it.










1. Jon Foreman- Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter.
This is actually 4 EPs, 3 of which were released this year. Jon (try to ignore the fact he is the lead singer of switchfoot), writes with unflinching honesty about human nature, struggle, beauty and faith with amazing melody. Most of the songs if not all are acoustic driven. I love the idea of writing music to create a mood and with each EP he creates a unique mood to each season. He just released "Limbs and Branches" which is a quasi greatest hits of these 4 EPs, if your interested.


The Cure for Pain - Jon Foreman

3 comments:

stan said...

i love this compilation. its like your personality in ten albums.

i didn't know ratatat had a new album out. it's going on the 'to buy' list.

also, just because you listen to switchfoot doesn't make you a better xian.

Anonymous said...

Stanley,

When are you going to drop your best of '08 on us? I am anxious. I got some itunes gift cards holding out for some new music and i am looking to you budrow!

will said...

I've been hearing a lot about this Kings of Leon album in the past couple days - now you really have my interest.

Thanks for the list. Keep them coming.